Through the years I have heard many, many, reasons as to why people can’t homeschool. We are going to investigate those reasons not to homeschool and show how you can overcome them.
Through the years I have heard many, many, reasons as to why people can’t homeschool. Some reasons are valid, some are real concerns, and others are just excuses.
Now, some people really, truly don’t think they can overcome certain hurdles in order to home educate their children. These parents are who this post is for! Let’s take a look at the different reasons why people think they can’t homeschool, investigate those reasons and show ways that parents can overcome these hurdles.
Why You Think You Can’t Homeschool
- I Can’t Homeschool Because My Child Has Special Needs-Think you can’t homeschool because your child has special needs? One blogger shares 5 reasons why you can homeschool your special needs child! Don’t miss #2! I also talk more about this in regards to homeschooling with ADHD and how to homeschool a child with Apraxia.
- I Can’t Homeschool Because I Don’t Have the Patience-I don’t have the patience to homeschool is one of the most used phrases I hear in regards to reasons people say they don’t homeschool. Patience is something that is severely lacking in today’s society because we are a rush, rush, rush culture. Many times parents will say they don’t have the patience to homeschool. The truth is you can homeschool without it!
- I Can’t Homeschool Because I Work Outside the Home-As a work at home homeschool mom, I know how hard it is to work and homeschool. I know many families also have both parents working out of the home while homeschooling. This post addresses how you can work outside the home and homeschool. The truth is you can!
- I Can’t Homeschool Because I am Not Organized Enough-I have heard this reason SO many times. Often times by friends who are actually now homeschooling.🙂. There seems to be a misconception that in order to homeschool you have to be perfect. You have to be organized, have great time management skills and a superb routine. This couldn’t be farther from the truth!
- I Can’t Homeschool Because I Want My Kids to Be Socialized-Have you ever thought this? Honestly, I did at first too. But now? I realize that homeschool kids ARE socialized. If anything, we are too social because we try to make up for the perceived “lack” of socialization. If you are really, truly concerned about socialization, and if that is really, truly why you are hesitant to homeschool, this post is here to reassure you.
- I Can’t Homeschool Because? Answering YOUR Questions!-In this post, I break down other questions and concerns readers had regarding NOT being able to homeschool. This is a hodgepodge of questions and hopefully, your concerns are addressed here if they aren’t addressed elsewhere. If not feel free to send me an email, misty at joy in the journey. net
- I Can’t Afford to Homeschool…YES, you can! –One question I hear often when mentoring new homeschoolers, is “How do you afford it?”, or “I don’t know if I can afford to homeschool”. There is this assumption that homeschooling costs a lot of money. And while homeschooling may cost a little bit, it is only as expensive as you let it be.
Why Others Think You Can’t Homeschool
Now, we have covered many of the reasons why people think they may not be able to homeschool, now let’s look at the reasons why others may say you can’t homeschool. If you have been homeschooling for any time at all, I am sure you have heard many reasons as to why you should NOT be homeschooling. I am sure you have heard many reasons as to why you CAN’T homeschool. When you are out and about, the homeschool critics are EVERYWHERE, and they have an opinion as to why you CAN’T homeschool. But, are any of these reasons valid? We are going to find out!
You Can’t Homeschool Because, You Will MESS UP my Grandkids-Have you ever heard, “You can’t homeschool because you didn’t graduate college?”. Me too! We examined the statistics and research and were surprised to find that this may be a misconception. I also go into more on this topic in this podcast episode about how to deal with it when your family is against homeschooling.
You Can’t Homeschool Because You Didn’t Graduate from College- Have you ever heard, “You can’t be a homeschool teacher because you didn’t graduate college?”. Me too! We examined the statistics and research and were surprised to find that this may be a misconception.
You Can’t Homeschool Because Your Kids Will Miss Out on Things-Have you ever heard, You Can’t Homeschool ? One reason many give is the belief that kids will miss out. This is a HUGE misconception and one that needs to be debunked.
You Can’t Homeschool Because Your Kids Won’t Get into College–Ever heard, “You can’t homeschool because your child won’t get into college!”? Me too! When you hear this inform the homeschool critic of these facts…
Reasons NOT to Homeschool
There are two legitimate reasons not to homeschool, and I would never ever pressure a parent to attempt to overcome these hurdles. One is when your spouse is against homeschooling, and the other reason is quite frankly when a parent doesn’t want to do it. If these are your reasons against homeschooling then please, don’t let others try to talk you into doing it anyway.
So, Why Do You Homeschool?
So, why are more parents homeschooling? There are tons of arguments for homeschooling. These include flexibility, special needs, longing for more religious freedom and many others. I still remember the first time I told someone we were planning on homeschooling. The look of sheer terror came over the person’s eyes, and I could tell they had no clue how to respond. If I was honest, I didn’t know how to respond either. Yet, I felt deep down in my heart that God was calling me to do it. This is the biggest reason we chose to homeschool.
If after reading through this and looking at how to overcome some of the hurdles beginning homeschool that may be thrown your way, you still aren’t sure why you should homeschool be sure to Check out these 101 reasons to homeschool.
These are real moms telling you WHY homeschooling rocks! The truth is homeschooling is hard, but anyone can homeschool. Even if they think they can’t. Even if others tell them that they can’t. Any mom who feels led to homeschool and TRULY has the desire to do it right CAN homeschool. Believe me! Worry less about homeschooling fails and more about starting the homeschool journey.
PS: Want to work more on conquering the fear of homeschooling? Be sure to check out this presentation from the Southeast Homeschool Expo!