My husband and I got married young. We hadn’t known each other long at all (9 months) and we didn’t have a big fancy wedding. Instead we were married in a small chapel in the Smoky Mountains, with less than 15 guests attending. We started our married lives naive and clueless. Yet, here we are getting ready to celebrate 12 years of marriage! It is crazy really, and it doesn’t seem like it has been long at all. We have grown and learned together, and if I had to go back, I’d do it all over again! Although, if I had known a few things then that I have since learned from marriage….our lives would have been a little easier!
1. Laughter is important to a healthy and happy marriage
2. Don’t wait until the perfect time to start a family
3. Marriage is not about the wedding, it’s about the vows
4. In richer and in poorer is part of the vows-be prepared for lean times!
5. You don’t fall out of love, you just have to work at it
6. Make time to talk and connect every single day
7. Your spouse is not the only one with flaws
8. Being dependent does not make you weak
9. Your marriage will change through the years, and that is okay!
10. Fight fair
11. Say (and accept) I’m sorry. Forgiveness goes a long way!
12. Trust and Lean upon the Lord! Through His love and grace your marriage will prosper.
Three kids and twelve years later and this man is still the one! There have been good times, and there have been bad times, and through it all I have been SO thankful to be married to my best friend.
How long have you been married and what have you learned from marriage?
Linking up here