I have lived in the Buckeye state my whole life. Well….actually I have pretty much lived in my house my whole life (we bought my dream home from my mom). So, we have been to many places in this beautiful state of Ohio. Some, I’d go to again. Others…. not so much 🙂 But, for today let’s talk about the top places to visit in Ohio. At least according to the Bailey family!
- Great Wolf Lodge-We love it here. Seriously! We went a few years ago as a spur of the moment trip to celebrate the hubby landing a new job and fell in love. We have since been 3 times. It is a ton of fun for the whole family. Our favorite part about Great Wolf Lodge is the family raft. We can all ride it together and it is a thrill for the big kids, and still fun for the little ones. *Bonus Tip* Use code HOME at check out to land a GREAT discount for homeschoolers
- The Columbus Zoo–We have been to a lot of zoos and aquariums and the Columbus Zoo is still our favorite zoo. It is easy to navigate and we have always seen a lot of animals while on our visit. They offer a light show over the Christmas holiday that people come from hours away to see. Our favorite part of this zoo is the kangaroo exhibit. If you sit there long enough the kangaroos get pretty close!
- The 1810 House–This building is a hidden treasure and one that is worth making a drive to see. The 1810 house is FULL of fascinating artifacts from the 1800’s. The tour guides are very educated in the history of the area, and were not put off at all by our homeschool kids asking them TONS of questions. They do group tours by appointment and have limited hours so call before making the drive. *Bonus Tip* Leave the little ones at home. Especially if they are active like my little boy 😉 You will enjoy yourself much more if you are not worried about what they may or may not break!
- Kings Island–When I was a kid we went to Kings Island every year with my school. Now, I have went back with my own kids and hae not been disappointed. Kings Island offers fun and entertainment for kids of ALL ages! My personal favorite ride is the Beast. I like riding in the front row and screaming the whole entire ride. Yes, people around me hate me, but it’s fun 🙂 There are rides in the kiddie area where kids of all ages and their parents can enjoy together. My kids loved meeting the Snoopy characters and I enjoyed riding some of my favorite childhood rides alongside my kids. There favorite was White Water Canyon. *Bonus Tip* Pack lunches if you want to save money. If you do half the park, and then break for lunch it is not that difficult to hike out to your car for a picnic lunch in the grass. This saves a TON of money.
- The Wild’s– This place was the highlight of my kid’s school year last year. This wildlife safari is a must visit and an experience you likely won’t find many places. We were able to see ostrich, bison, giraffes, and many more animals in an environment unlike that of the zoo. The Wild’s also is all about wildlife conservation and education. Our tour guide (yes you get a REAL person to show you around) was very informative and handled questions from my inquisitive kids like a pro!
It was SO hard to limit the places we love because there are really so many awesome places to visit in Ohio! The Creation Museum, Newport Aquarium, Serpent Mound, we love all those places as well. But, I chose our top 5 based on rarity, what the kids enjoyed the most, and those that are most likely to be places we would visit again and again!
*Want more information about fun places to visit in Ohio? Check out 1000 Things Ohio!*
If you are from the Buckeye state or have visited lately what are some of your top places to visit in Ohio?
Check out other awesome places to visit from my friends at iHN!