You can simplify homeschooling and homemaking and I am going to show you how!
I looked at the pile of dishes. It combined with the baskets of laundry, and the crumbs on my feet were enough to make me cry. I couldn’t even fathom how I was going to grade papers and prepare lessons for our next day of homeschooling. Something had to give. I couldn’t keep it up. But what could I do?
Chances are you have felt this way. You may even feel this way at least once a week 🙂 Homeschooling is a huge undertaking, and maintaining a house on top of it is enough to make even the most organized mom sometimes feel overwhelmed!
However, there IS an easier way. You can simplify homeschooling and homemaking and I am going to show you how!
- Encourage homeschool independence! If your children are in grade 2nd or above there is SOMETHING they can do independently. Encourage independence now! This can come by letting them drill themselves in spelling, or complete a few math problems without you on top of them. Start small, and encourage them each week or so to do one more thing independently. This will free you up for other household tasks.
- Assign chores! Seriously, if your kids aren’t helping out around the house then something needs to change. Like yesterday! Here is a great post to help you put those kids to work!
- Have a daily routine! Having a routine for your day will let you and your kids know what is coming up next. This can be as simple as doing the same subjects in the same order each day, or serving lunch at the same time each day. Having a routine will keep you and your kids on task.
- Meal plan! This can be a HUGE time saver and a simple way to keep you from wondering at 5:00 each day what you are going to serve for dinner. This post can help you get started meal planning TODAY!
- Simplify laundry! These three laundry tips help keep our laundry more manageable. They are simple, easy, and can be used to simplify laundry in almost any home.
- Get a paperwork system in place! One of the best decisions I have ever made in our homeschool was to implement a paperwork system. You can read more about my system here. Find something like this for your homeschool and you will be amazed how much simpler your paperwork will be!
- Find a cleaning routine that works for you! Years ago I had a simple cleaning routine that worked perfectly. Then, it didn’t. So, I found one that did! Each mom’s routine will look different, but the key is finding one that works for YOU and sticking to it!
- Put it away! Keeping your home clean can be as simple as putting items away when you’re done with them. Why leave the hairbrush on the sink when it takes one extra second to put it in the drawer? Why leave the cereal box out when everyone has already been served? The empty pop can? It can be tossed in no time, and those empty cups can easily be put in the sink. Get in the habit of putting items away when done, and then get your kids in the habit too!
When you homeschool your home can get out of hand quickly. This happens because everyone is home, everyone is busy, and let’s face it were not always neat and tidy individuals! This does not in any way mean that you are failing.
However, by implementing just a few of the above tips you will quickly realize that simplifying homeschooling and homemaking can be done. I encourage you to try one tip at a time. See how it goes. Tweak it to fit you and your situation. Then try another one. Within a few weeks hopefully, you will be breathing a little easier 🙂
What tip do you have that has simplified your homeschooling and homemaking tasks?