In this episode, we chat all about language-based learning disabilities, which to me, was a new term. Dr. Daniel Franklin breaks down the term, diagnosis and so much more.
Welcome to episode 59 of the Joyfully Homeschooling Podcast.
When I had my podcast birthday and asked for episode recommendations many of you asked for more information on special needs. As a momma of a child with learning struggles, I was all for learning more about homeschooling with special needs.
So, when the opportunity arose to chat with Dr. Daniel Franklin. I jumped!
Dr. Daniel Franklin is the author of the recently published book Helping Your Child with Language-Based Learning Disabilities. He holds a master’s degree from the Harvard Graduate School of Education in Reading, Language, and Learning Disabilities and a PhD from UCLA in Education. Dr. Franklin is a Board Certified Educational Therapist and has over 30 years of experience in education as a teacher, administrator, and consultant. He is the founder and president of Los Angeles-based Franklin Educational Services, which provides a wide range of educational services. Dr. Franklin can be reached atDr.Franklin@FranklinEd.com.
In this episode, we chat all about language-based learning disabilities, which to me, was a new term. It encompasses many different needs including ADHD, Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, and more. Anything that impedes language. I loved Dr. Franklin’s story and how he overcame his struggles and is taking what he learned from a very special teacher and is helping and encouraging special needs parents all over the world. Whether you have a child with special needs or not, you will leave this podcast feeling more joyful and encouraged as a homeschool parent.
Here are a few questions we address in this episode:
- What is a language-based learning disability?
- How does a child get diagnosed?
- What can we as parents do to help and support our children?
- How is homeschooling a better environment for a child with a language-based learning disability?
- What advice and encouragement do you have for the parents who are playing the role of teacher and mom?
If you liked this episode be sure to leave a rating or review. These serve as a notice to iTunes that I’m not speaking to myself. It will also give you a chance to have your review read online and win a gift from me
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Podcast season sponsor Apologia
- Full review of Dr. Franklin’s book on my blog
- Dr Franklin’s book, Helping Children with Language-Based Learning Disabilities
- Connect with Daniel on Twitter
- Connect with Daniel on Facebook
- Unteachable Video
- Follow on Instagram
- Follow on Facebook
- Subscribe for weekly encouragement emails AND a coupon to my store
- Joy in the Journey store