Once you have decided to homeschool you will quickly realize something. How much STUFF comes along with homeschooling!
Homeschool organization is important in homeschooling, yes, you can homeschool even if you’re not organized, but being a little organized will help a lot.
Here are five tips for homeschool organization that will help you on your homeschool journey!
Organizing Homeschool Supplies
Organizing school supplies can be done a few different ways. For us, I purchase plastic drawers like these. In the summer I purchase school supplies for ALL year long. I figure up how many of each item I believe we will need per month (crayons, glue, markers, etc) and times it by nine. This gives me a rough estimate of what to purchase.
Then, like items go in drawers together. For example, crayons and markers, glue and scissors, paper and folders may go in drawers together. This allows us to easily replace school supplies as we need them throughout the year.
Organizing Homeschool Books
One thing that comes along with homeschooling is books! And lots of them 🙂 . Book organization can be a huge hassle for a homeschool mom but there are ways to organize your child’s school books.
- Have a shelf for each child’s school books. Be sure that this shelf is in close proximity to where they will be doing school.
- Purchase Rubbermaid drawers and designate each child to one drawer for their school supplies.
- Purchase a handy plastic crate, and store each child’s school books in it. This allows them to take their crate and go wherever they feel comfortable for school.
Make Sure EVERYTHING Has a Place
When it comes to your homeschool supplies, books, and materials everything needs to have a place. If not your room or homeschool area can become a mess, quickly! Here are a few ways you can do this:
- Bookshelves-Each child can have a shelf for their school books. Keep a shelf for your teacher’s books too! Bookshelves are also a great place to put educational games, hands-on learning tools, and other school related items.
- Drawers-Big drawers work great for school supplies, but small drawers are a must have too! Small plastic drawers like these can be a huge help in keeping a place for things like flash cards, paperclips, pushpins and other small items. You can see how I use ours in our homeschool room here.
- Bins- Bins like these are perfect for play doh, craft supplies, paint and other items. You can easily stack them onto your school shelves for easy access. If you don’t have stacking space these are handy to have, and are super cute too!
When everything has a place you will not lose valuable time searching for items that you need!
Put Things Away
When you are done with items, put them away. Right then. Not later in the day, not when you have time, but right then. Teach your children the same thing. This eliminates the possibility of things getting lost or ruined because they have been left out. It also keeps you and your family more organized!
Find a Good Filing System
This has been HUGE for our homeschool organization. We use a simple file stacker that has 3 places. You can see our filing system in use in this post! Having a good filing system will let you know what needs to be graded, it helps your kids know what’s been graded, and what they can put away, and it helps you know what you need to file for your homeschool records.
Homeschool organization does not have to be difficult. It just takes a few items, and the desire to get organized. With these five tips to homeschool organization, you can be on your way to a more organized homeschool!
Want more organization tips? Check out the “How to Organize your Life in 30 Days” series!