This blog uses affiliate links, and contains sponsored posts and paid reviews. However, all opinions on this blog are my own. For more information about sponsored posts and affiliate links read my full disclosure.
Are you looking for an ULTIMATE GUIDE to Homeschool Conventions? This is it! One place where you can stop and find the BEST resources out there for everything homeschool convention related.
I love homeschool conventions. I really do. Last year I attended my first but I had been eyeing them for years. There is something about being around a large group of like-minded individuals. These people are our PEEPS!
As we all prepare for homeschool convention season (my schedule is below!) I wanted to create an ULTIMATE GUIDE to Homeschool Conventions. One place where you can stop and find the BEST resources out there for everything homeschool convention related. I hope you enjoy and please feel free to share with your friends.
Why Attend a Homeschool Convention?
This is a question many people ask. But, really homeschool conventions offer SOMETHING for EVERYONE!
Let’s face it we ALL need encouragement. I have heard great stories of encouragement coming from the speakers at homeschool conventions. Whether you are in your first year homeschooling, homeschooling high school, or have multiple ages to homeschool we all get wore down, tired and just DONE. Attending a homeschool convention will put you in a building with a TON of moms just like you. Conversations can be had, speakers can be listened to and I don’t know a mom who has left a convention NOT feeling encouraged.
Tools to Equip You for Homeschool Challenges
This homeschooling thing is hard and each year brings different challenges . Once we think we have this homeschool gig figured out middle school comes, then HIGH school, then we are facing college admissions. There is a GOOD possibility whatever challenge you are going through, it will be covered in your local convention. This means you will leave feeling better equipped to handle future or current challenges.
Yes, you may have your curriculum picked out but it is nice to see things up close and personal. Maybe you plan on changing math in a few years, or maybe you have always wanted to SEE a certain curriculum to know if it’s really worth it. Homeschool conventions give you the opportunity to browse TONS of curriculums!
Still not convinced? Here are even more reasons as to why you should attend a homeschool convention!
- Why You SHOULD Attend a Homeschool Convention by Homeschool Your Boys
- Even Seasoned Homeschoolers Should Attend a Homeschool Convention
- Why Attend a Homeschool Convention by Southeast Homeschool Expo
6 Reasons to Stay Far, Far Away from Homeschool Conventions by Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers
Homeschool Conventions for Preschool Moms: Finding Your Anchor by Everyday Graces
10 Pros and Cons of Homeschool Conventions by Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers
- Why Attend a Homeschool Convention? by See Jamie Blog
- Why We go to the Homeschool Convention Every Year (And Why You Should TOO!) by Proverbial Homemaker
Four Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Attend a Homeschool Convention by Marianne Sunderland
- Why You NEED to Attend a Homeschool Convention this Year by Not Consumed
Where Can I Find a Homeschool Convention?
Now that you know why you want to know where right? We have you covered!
- Teach Them Diligently
- Southeast Homeschool Expo
- A List of Homeschool Conventions by State by My Joy-Filled Life
- Great Homeschool Conventions
How Can I Prepare for a Homeschool Convention?
You know why, and you know where, now you need to know how to prepare. There is SO much to learn about homeschool conventions.
I recommend coming with a print out of the schedule and a list of NO more than three speakers per day you want to see. Also, make a list of curriculum you want to look at, and items you KNOW you are going to buy.
Also, make a budget, and STICK with it. The best way to do this is to arrive with cash. Once it’s gone, it’s gone.
YOUR FREE HOMESCHOOL CONVENTION CHECKLIST SET by Crazy Homeschool Life
What You Need To Know About A Homeschool Convention by Living Life and Learning
Top 10 Things to Pack for a Homeschool Convention by The Unlikely Homeschooler
3 Ways to Prepare for a Homeschool Expo by Southeast Homeschool Expo
5 Ways an Introvert can Survive a Homeschool Convention by Sallie Borrink
- 10 Things to do AFTER You Register for a Homeschool Convention by Crazy Homeschool Life
- 4 Tips for Attending a Homeschool Convention by Embark on the Journey
- How to Keep Kids Occupied at the Homeschool Convention by Crazy Homeschool Life
- Homeschool Convention Survival Tips by Homeschool Gameschool
I’m Brand New to Homeschooling and OVERWHELMED!
Nothing will overwhelm a new homeschooler quite like a homeschool convention. My advice is to go with a friend. Going with someone will help you judge whether or not you should be purchasing that item you’re on the fence about. You and your friend can also tag team homeschool speakers. I highly recommend NOT buying anything your first time around the convention hall. Be sure you’ve seen EVERY vendor you came to look at BEFORE you buy ANYTHING. There is nothing more discouraging than buying something only to get a few aisles down and see something you love even more. Here are some tips and resources JUST for the homeschool newbie. Also, don’t forget the speakers, but don’t feel like you need to hear EACH one. Pick up to three that you REALLY want to hear, and spend the rest of the time browsing and enjoying your time at the convention.
Here are some tips and resources JUST for the homeschool newbie.
- Attending a Homeschool Convention First Timer Tips by Mama Jenn
- 5 Common Mistakes First Timers Make at a Homeschool Convention by Southeast Homeschool Expo
- Making the Most of Your First Homeschool Convention by In All You Do
- Have one of these to carry your purchases or something else on wheels. I didn’t my first year, and lost feeling in my arm after the first day. Seriously.
What to do While at Homeschool Convention
You’re at the convention now what? First off, don’t avoid the speakers. Be sure to pick a few homeschool speakers that will encourage you on your homeschool journey. Have a special needs child? There’s a speaker for that! Not sure about a certain homeschool method? There’s one for that too. Here’s what you need to know!
Homeschool conventions are a GREAT place to see curriculum and shop for those must have items. But, it’s also a great place to be poured into and leave feeling filled up and ready to finish out an amazing homeschool year. Here’s what you need to know!
Here’s more tips and resources from my homeschool friends!
How to Shop for Hidden Gems at a Homeschool Convention by Milk and Cookies
- Homeschool Convention Field Trips by Mama Jenn
How To Shop For History Curriculum at a Homeschool Convention by Tina’s Dynamic Homeschool
- How to Avoid Curriculum Overload at the Homeschool Convention by A Diligent Heart
What is Your Top Homeschool Tip?
My #1 homeschool tip is one that may surprise you, but hopefully, it helps you as well!
This year I will be speaking at and representing Foreign Languages for Kids at three conventions. I hope if you are attending any of them also you will stop in and say hi! I’d love to meet you! I will be at:
- Great Homeschool Convention in Greenville, South Carolina
- Great Homeschool Convention in Cincinnati, Ohio
- Southeast Homeschool Expo in Atlanta, GA
Which homeschool conventions will you be attending?