This post may contain affiliate links or information on products that I recieved in exchange for a review. All opinions on this blog are my own. For more information see my disclosure policy.
Our homeschool group hosted a curriculum swap and share last week and while chatting about curriculum we got on the topic of our day-to-day lives. One of the moms confessed that they had got very little done in school that week, another mentioned that she had actually napped when the kids did, and I shared that outside of one day we had done only language arts and math for school that week. That is when another mom spoke up and said, “Why don’t you share THAT on your blog?”.
She didn’t mean anything negative by it, she was just sharing her observations. But, here is the thing, this space where you are reading is here to encourage you, not to make you feel bad about the days that you nap, ditch school, or when your husband comes home to a messy home. The truth is, I am imperfect, I fail, and I have faults. All bloggers do, and the spaces we share with you are just small glimpses into our lives.
So, here are a few confessions that this imperfect mom wants to share with you today! Some are easy and humorous, some I’m a little ashamed of, but they are all things that I am sure some imperfect mom out there understands!
- I don’t like playing with my kids. I know, moms who stay home are supposed to love playing with their kids, making fun crafts and doing messy activities right? Well, that is not me. If it is organized, structured play-sign me up! But, imaginary play-not so much…. I can handle messy stuff if it is educational, but I detest arts and crafts. I have like zero creative bones in my body.
- I am sometimes jealous of moms who work outside the home. I love being able to work from home. I love being home with my kids. But sometimes it would be nice to have “me” time. It would be nice to get to go to the store alone or be able to leave the house everyday and have adult interaction.
- My house is not always clean. I used to have this cleaning schedule, before child #3 I followed it fairly well. Since child #3 has come along, my house is honestly barely “kept up” my husband complains (silently) about crumbs on the floor and dishes in the sink. There was a day and time when I would be embarrassed by this, but honestly I am not anymore. I read a great book by Jill Savage and it really changed my perspective on having the “perfect” home. I also almost always have at least one basket of clothes in my room waiting to be folded; spray on wrinkle release has become my best friend 😉
- I have a work uniform. It is a pair of sweat pants and a t-shirt. If we don’t leave the house that is what I wear! It is so bad that when my kids wake up and I am out of my “work” uniform they know we are leaving the house.
- Sometimes full school days just don’t happen. This actually usually happens at least one day a week. We may have errands to run, I may have a deadline with work, or my house may be a wreck. On these days we get the basics done, these are our “Math and Language Arts” days. Some weeks we skip a day of school all together, and some days Little House on the Prairie counts as history (total historical fiction, right?)!
So moms, let’s make a pact and share our imperfections sometimes. No mom has it all together. Yet, sometimes, our perfect family photos on Facebook , or our blogs, tell a different story. Let’s strive to change that. Today!
Do you have an imperfect mom confession? Please let me know I’m not alone by sharing below 🙂
Linking up here.