Summer Vacation season is right around the corner! I don’t know about you, but for me, preparing for vacation takes at least a week of preparation. There is the budget, the packing, the planning, and everything else that goes along with vacationing with kids.
In anticipation of summer vacation season, I wanted to gather up some tips from moms just like you that can make vacationing with kids a little bit easier. So, I asked my followers on Facebook and some of my favorite blogging friends to give me their expert advice and share their favorite posts 🙂
- I highly recommend bringing along some audio books for the drive. A good audio book or two can transform what could be a long, boring ride in the car into a magical journey which you will never forget! Michelle at Homeschool Your Boys
- Stay in a safe and central area that’s close to local attractions, food outlets, the beach, the park, and all preferably within walking distance. This will save you time, money, and your kids from getting bored. ~25 Tips for Traveling with Kids
- Use a travel DVD player and allow the children to watch a movie while you travel. Bonus? Uninterrupted conversation with your spouse! ~Gabby at Mama Gab
- I have each kid pack their own activity bag for the car – then they can have what they want and they can’t complain that I forgot their favorite toy We also stop at rest areas to pick up maps & travel guides along the way for the girls to look at so they can follow along with where we are & learn about the local area~Davonne at Davonneparks.com
- I buy the big pack of $1 soft bristle toothbrushes than trash them before we come home. ~Kristie
- We LOVE Adventures in Odyssey radio series. MY boys are 6 and 4 and they love listening to them (as do I) even when we are just driving around town. Great for imagination growth! ~Tiffany
- No matter what’s packed in your suitcases, have a change of clothes handy. Karen from Living Unabridged
- The only tip I can think of off the top of my head is buying new underwear & socks before a trip and just packing the whole package. Then I know they have plenty and it is all in decent shape.~Carolyn
- New toothbrushes are good for a trip, then they can be packed ahead of time, and not forgotten. ~Carolyn
- We pack our toiletry/shower things the morning of our trip so we don’t forget anything. Right after we use each item, we toss it into our small shower bag, then zip the bag and it’s ready to go! ~Davonne at Davonneparks.com
- If traveling by plane, pack only the necessities. You can purchase extra diapers and other non-essential items when you arrive at your destination. ~Ali at Mom Explores Virginia Beach
- Download apps that are age appropriate for your children. ~The Shortcut Mom
- Pack plenty of snacks and keep wipes handy for messy toddler hands! ~Seven Graces Blog
- Use travel packing lists like this one, to be sure you don’t forget anything! ~One Mamas Daily Drama
Here are my tips for vacationing with kids!
- Travel in the off-season to avoid crowds and long lines with young children.
- Let each child pick one activity. This keeps you from running to every attraction and allows the children to have a say in what they visit.
- As you do laundry a few days before vacation, pull out clothes you know you will be taking with you on vacation. This keeps you from having to track them down to pack.
- Pack plenty of snacks and drinks with you for the trip. This keeps you from stopping at gas stations and saves you money!
- Leave in the middle of the night. You can drive farther without stops while the kids sleep.
- Get a suite or home with a kitchen while you are traveling. This saves money by not eating out and gives the kids some extra space (and in some cases a yard) to run and play.
- Be flexible. Vacationing with kids requires unplanned stops, potty breaks and lots of snacks 🙂
- Schedule down time. At least one day of your vacation plan nothing. Give the kids time to play on the beach, relax, or do something they have seen that looked exciting!